Well, it is a new year and I am determined to be a true housewife and mother this year. My version of that includes more cooking and cleaning. My goal: a home cooked meal everyday, clothes washed, dried AND put away on a regular basis, and the house picked up before Lane gets home each day so he can walk into a neat and clean home on a regular basis. Now, if you knew how far from this I have been I am sure this seems a bit aggressive, but this is my goal. The real key in all of this being successful is to not get discouraged if I have a bad day or even a bad week, but to pick myself (& my house) back up and keep moving forward.
So far things are going well! Today at lunch (burgers on the grill, sauteed onions, tater tots, strawberries...yummm!), Lane and I both discussed how much better - and even easier - this meal was than eating out. We had been in such a bad habit...I never knew what to make, so I didn't shop very well, so each day I struggled to even what to make something...most of the time I didn't and we would eat out. We would eat at least one meal out at a minimum every other day, and often we would eat multiple meals out in one day. Needless to say we were spending waaaayyyy too much money on fast food! I am proud to say that we have eaten out only 4 times in the last 2 1/2 weeks, and once was a planned date night, one day the kids and I were traveling so we grabbed 2 meals out that day, and one day we grabbed pizza (because sometimes you just need some good 'ol Gambinos!)
I have been a very disorganized in the kitchen, so my Christmas present was such a huge blessing this year. My sis-in-law gave me (via our grab-bag) a family meal planning guide/cookbook with 4 meals a week scheduled out for 52 weeks. She also gave a note pad that included the shopping list for each week. This has made it easy for me to cross off what I already have (or don't want to make) and add the other things I need for the week. I also found my magnetic calendar that had been missing since we moved to this house and I have been using it to plan out my meals (breakfast, lunch and supper) and post it on my fridge so I know what I am making each day.
So far my goal has not been to focus on a food budget, but get into the habit of cooking everyday. Once this is my daily habit (I'll give it another couple of weeks) I will start to think through my weekly menu in light of the cost (check ads for specials, etc). I know we are already saving money simply by eating at home, but I look forward to saving even more as the year goes on!
Maybe, just maybe I will also blog about this experience as the year goes on.
btw: http://www.myfamilymealplanner.com/ is where you can find your own meal planner and grocery lists.
2 comments:
Maria,
What great goals to have! I know you can do it!
For the cleaning part, you may want to get the book "Sink Reflections" by Marla Cilley. She has a really neat cleaning plan idea that puts the rooms in your house on a rotation. She also has a web site - www.flylady.net, but it might be a little confusing if you haven't read the book.
I am with you on the home-cooked meals, too! I am trying to do more of that myself.
As for the budget, www.daveramsey.com has some great ideas, too!
Well, that's all. Just wanted to be an encouragement and share some of the things I have learned in this area.
Colossians 3:23
Thanks Abra!
flylady is a bit intense for me with 3 kiddos...maybe someday again. (been there, attempted that! lol)
we are dave junkies! we are on the road to debt-free living...at least taking baby-steps. check back on that in a year or so.
have a blessed 2009!
Post a Comment