Monday, January 28, 2013

Month One - Jump right into the Deep End!


So I intended to write a post about the Realities of Homeschooling this month (and I really think I will soon) but apparently God had other plans.

My One Word has gotten lots of use this month. We had a very positive first week back to school. I somewhat feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel after a couple months of new baby and then holiday sleep-deprivation.  I imagined blissful weeks of school in an ever improving home as my children returned more and more to their chore routines with willingness and joy. A scenario which of course included NO NEED for me to raise my voice or do ANYTHING which might cause me to be less than a stellar example. (All you mommies can stop laughing nowit was a fun dream!)

Oh how quickly life changes. I woke up on Saturday the 12th to a phone call from my brother-in-law informing me my sister-in-law was in labor about 5 weeks early. The older 4 kids were at their home with a babysitter but needed to be picked up before noon. Oh my! I am quite unexpectedly the mom of 9 kids for the immediate future and now instead of a measly 5 kids to be an example for now there are 9 sets of eyes and ears paying attention! And instead of my blissful normal we have the crazy of the unexpectedand frankly I havent always been the best at the unexpected in the past.

***My sweet new niece, Lexine, is doing great! She spent her first couple weeks in KC, but if all continues well she should come home this Wednesday.***

We had extra cousins in the house quite a bit for the first week. I would be lying if I pretended I handled those days perfectly, but I was quite amazed at how smoothly things did go. I really feel because I have been intentional to be an EXAMPLE - and most importantly seek to do so in Gods strength things have not been out of control. My initial reaction was basically survival mode. Is everyone fed, clothed and where they need to be (namely the 2 oldest to school)? At some point I feel like we stepped up a bit to include some routine. We worked to be consistent with the kids (all 9 of them) in discipline, bedtime routines, etc. Thankfully my niece and nephews are great kids that take instruction well even though I know we didnt always do things the same way they do at home.

I am also blessed with a wonderful teammate in Lane. In the moments when the situation seemed overwhelming a gentle word or hug would help me refocus. Overall the week went well. The kids really had a great time together and I really didnt feel overwhelmed by the details or out of control of my emotions and reactions. Lane and I have been reading in Galatians and verse 25 of chapter 5 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. really made me think of EXAMPLE. It is nearly impossible for me to be the kind of example I am seeking to be for my family, friends and neighbors if I am not looking to the example of Christ or walking in step with the Spirit.  I have a long way to go on this particular journey but I am encouraged with the fruit I see from a little intentionality.

Maria

***BTW, it has actually been a fun month of school as well! I really do look forward to writing about our progress soon!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

great post! I have just recently been convicted about my "Marthaness" You know...being Martha instead of Mary and running around instead of just looking up every now and then at Jesus to be my guide and strength:) I appreciate you and your willingness to share real life. Love ya!